From Daniel Gonzalez <gonva...@gonvaled.com>
Subject Faster one-time replication doing file-system copy?
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:13:44 GMT
Hi,

I have two local couchdbs instances (running on different ports): one
master-instance and one testing-instance. Master is a local-copy of my real
data in the production servers, arriving via replication, but otherwise I
do not use it for anything: it is just a local copy that I am using as
check-point to recreate the local testing databases.

Both have the  same data, but I am doing testing on the testing-instance,
so sometimes I want to "reset" the testing-instance to the state of the
master-instance (which, as said, is a copy of the real production data)

BTW, I am using this intermediate master instance because this way I have
always a copy of the production data available; this means that even when I
have no network available, I can reset the testing instance: only the most
recent changes to the production data which could not be replicated because
of the non-existing network connection are missing, and I can live with
that.

I can recreate the testing instance by replicating master -> testing, but
since some of the databases are very big, view recalculation takes hours. I
am trying to implement a faster method by doing:

1. Stop master and testing instances
2. Copy all databases / design documents / views from master to instance
3. Restart master and instance

My question is simply: what are the consequences of recreating databases by
doing a filesystem copy? Is this going to be accepted by couchdb, or is it
mandatory to enter the data via replication / REST?

Thanks and regards,
Daniel Gonzalez