From Jens Alfke <>
Subject Re: Suggestion on couchDB DB and documents
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:19:08 GMT

On Mar 24, 2014, at 7:38 AM, Andy Dorman <> wrote:

> I am still very new to CouchDB but one thing that influenced our design was that you
could not join results from multiple couch databases within CouchDB. Here is a link to a StackOverflow
post about that.

Right. Just as in SQL, databases are entirely independent of each other for querying purposes.

Don’t be afraid of storing different types of data — different “tables”, to coin a
phrase — in the same database. The usual convention is to use a property called “type”
to distinguish types of documents. Then your views’ map functions can easily check the type
to choose which documents to index.

View raw message