From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Ten Years of Google Summer of Code - GSoC 2014 is coming [2014/02/10]
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 13:28:01 GMT
Hey CouchDB community,

Last year I coordinated GSoC for CouchDB, albeit at the last minute. This year I won’t have
time to do this but I am hoping somebody else in the community is keen to do the coordination.
Note that there’s no programming involved in simply organising this. Having a couple of
people would be perfect.

Uli’s mail follows, feel free to reply or contact me offline about this if needed.

A+
Dave

Google Summer of Code [1] is celebrating it’s tenth year and we at Apache hopefully our
tenth year of participation. In order to also make this year a success for you and your project,
we now need your help.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't have
to apply separately.

If you want to participate with your project you have to do the following things by no later
than 2014-02-10 19:00 UTC

- understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

- record your project ideas. Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2014, and they
will show up at [3]. Please be as specific as possible when describing your idea. Include
the programming language, the tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students
away. They are supposed to learn what's required before the program starts. Use labels, e.g.
for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or technology
area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5]. Please use the COMDEV JIRA project
for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g. httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org
if you need assistance. [4] contains some additional information.

- subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org (this used to be the code-awards@apache.org list,
you don’t have to subscribe again; restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used as
a private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list as much as
possible please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your alias
addresses on record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted yet, nevertheless you *have to* start recording your ideas
now or we might not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this tenth year a success again!

Uli Stärk