From Jason Winshell <jas...@bearriver.com>
Subject Re: Login link missing in 1.5 with Window IE 8
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 02:16:33 GMT
Windows 7. IE 8.

On Feb 18, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Keith Gable <ziggythehamster@outlook.com> wrote:

> IE8 is the most recently supported IE on Windows XP. If you’re developing software
for Windows XP, you should know that Microsoft is stopping all support (unless you have loads
of cash) in April.

> If you’re on Vista or newer, you can run IE9, which does work fine.
>

> That said, it sounds like a simple patch to make.

the folks who generously contribute their time. Nonetheless, IE is the browser used by government
and many corporations. This is not a matter of what browser is better than another. It's just
a fact of life. I as a contractor, don't get to dictate the tools used in those environments.
IT staff, like database administrators are absolutely not going to use curl (assuming it's
even allowed to be installed on machines) to manage a database. CouchDB has to have browser
admin UI that is compatible with IE, Chrome and Firefox. IE being the most important even
if is not the choice of developers. I'm presented with such frustrating realities every day
in my work for big companies and government. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on the user
and developer list who deal with that.

> I'm curious as to what the QA process is for posting official releases. What is the test
regression process? I got hung up by a serious bug (which I didn't know was a bug) last week
in the Mac OS 1.5 build that I got off the web site. I found that modest size attachments
(e.g. 3MB) took 20-25 seconds to upload, regardless of the technique. I ran the same test
on Windows and found no problems, under a second, barely measurable. One the contributors,
who respond to my post on the user forum, said the bug been identified and fixed in a branch,
but not yet posted as a 1.5 patch build. The Mac is not my production platform, but I develop
all my code on it. Do you know when/how the bug fix (by the way, what is the bug) will be
posted to an official build?

> Thanks
>
> Jason
>

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Jason Winshell <jason@jasonwinshell.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a bug like this could go undetected
in an official release.

>> Because the CouchDB contributors don't have the bandwidth to test the admin UI (which
is obviously lower priority than the core database) on every version of every browser?

>> (Also, I'll bet there's a low correlation between people who work on or use CouchDB
and people who use MSIE, so this kind of bug wouldn't get noticed very often.)

>> The thing I find odd is that the one browser CouchDB is officially tested with is
Firefox, not Chrome, when Chrome has about twice the market share of Firefox or MSIE[1] and
is based on {something still very close to} WebKit, which has about 80% of mobile market share[2].

>> I'm guessing the choice of which browser to support/test with was made early on,
maybe 5 years ago, when Firefox was more dominant and MSIE was still in terrible shape.

>>> It's essential that Futon work with IE. Corporate and government installations
dictate the what software is installed on machines. A user would not be allowed to install
a Couch compatible browser.

>> Futon's not an essential part of CouchDB. It doesn't do anything you can't do through
the REST API. As long as users are allowed to install 'curl' they'll be OK ;-)