From Jason Winshell <jas...@bearriver.com>
Subject Re: Login link missing in 1.5 with Window IE 8
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:11:37 GMT
Jens,

Thanks for the speedy response. I certainly appreciate the low-bandwidth situation of the
folks who generously contribute their time. Nonetheless, IE is the browser used by government
and many corporations. This is not a matter of what browser is better than another. It's just
a fact of life. I as a contractor, don't get to dictate the tools used in those environments.
IT staff, like database administrators are absolutely not going to use curl (assuming it's
even allowed to be installed on machines) to manage a database. CouchDB has to have browser
admin UI that is compatible with IE, Chrome and Firefox. IE being the most important even
if is not the choice of developers. I'm presented with such frustrating realities every day
in my work for big companies and government. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on the user
and developer list who deal with that.

I'm curious as to what the QA process is for posting official releases. What is the test regression
process? I got hung up by a serious bug (which I didn't know was a bug) last week in the Mac
OS 1.5 build that I got off the web site. I found that modest size attachments (e.g. 3MB)
took 20-25 seconds to upload, regardless of the technique. I ran the same test on Windows
and found no problems, under a second, barely measurable. One the contributors, who respond
to my post on the user forum, said the bug been identified and fixed in a branch, but not
yet posted as a 1.5 patch build. The Mac is not my production platform, but I develop all
my code on it. Do you know when/how the bug fix (by the way, what is the bug) will be posted
to an official build?

Thanks

Jason

On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Jason Winshell <jason@jasonwinshell.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a bug like this could go undetected
in an official release.

> Because the CouchDB contributors don't have the bandwidth to test the admin UI (which
is obviously lower priority than the core database) on every version of every browser?

> (Also, I'll bet there's a low correlation between people who work on or use CouchDB and
people who use MSIE, so this kind of bug wouldn't get noticed very often.)

> The thing I find odd is that the one browser CouchDB is officially tested with is Firefox,
not Chrome, when Chrome has about twice the market share of Firefox or MSIE[1] and is based
on {something still very close to} WebKit, which has about 80% of mobile market share[2].

> I'm guessing the choice of which browser to support/test with was made early on, maybe
5 years ago, when Firefox was more dominant and MSIE was still in terrible shape.

>> It's essential that Futon work with IE. Corporate and government installations dictate
the what software is installed on machines. A user would not be allowed to install a Couch
compatible browser.

> Futon's not an essential part of CouchDB. It doesn't do anything you can't do through
the REST API. As long as users are allowed to install 'curl' they'll be OK ;-)