From Lists <li...@benjamindsmith.com>
Subject Re: Bigcouch without ha proxy
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:31:48 GMT
On 02/25/2014 11:25 AM, Stanley Iriele wrote:
> So in clustering couchdb everyone recommends haproxy but I do t want to pay
> the price for an extra hop. Is there a better solution out there?.. I'm
> thinking of pulling they keyspace doc in myself and just have a collection
> of http clients connecting to different nodes.
>
> My question is is the extra hop really that irrelevant ?... Or is their and
> obvious load balancing trick I'm missing?

The extra overhead of the extra hop is pretty much irrelevant for
anything Internet-based. The reason is that the end user will see at
*best* about 20ms to you, and haproxy won't even add 1. Since the
"typical user"** will see more like 50ms, the 0.1ms or so of overhead in
a proxy is irrelevant if it gives you better uptime.

** YMMV. You should know your audience. Are they on a LAN and also
burning through thousands of queries per second?