From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Marketing suggestion
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:12:33 GMT

On 1/22/14, 7:38 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Simon Metson <simon@cloudant.com> wrote:
>
>> Most recent posts are 1 post about Riak and 1 about Couchbase vs 8 about CouchDB,
related tooling or community events seems like a reasonable ratio to me.
> That's weird. When I go to that page* I see 11 (eleven!) spam posts by 'Tahniyat Kazmi'
about topics like "the secrets to engaging readers on Twitter", "Five texts you should never
send", etc. Below that is "I am offering FREE virtual servers to help kick-start my new cloud
company" by Daniele Testa (not spam, but OT). Then finally there are some actual relevant
posts, but they're months old.

> LinkedIn is a job-networking site — I can see it's useful to have a tag there for CouchDB
so people can register their interest/knowledge, but it's beyond me why people would want
to discuss it there. We already have too many actually-relevant places to discuss it, like
here, SO, the G+ group. A forum that looks abandoned sends a worse message about the technology
than not having one at all, IMHO.

Agreed on the empty forum thing...

There's also CouchDB Pros by @dch--which he started because the CouchDB
one got quite spammy (as mentioned):
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4547164 (64 members)

And NoSQL Document Databases by Nuno Job:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/NoSQL-Document-Databases-2991253 (294
members)

Likely just showing up in the places where each of us has an
interest/voice and promoting CouchDB as something we use is
good/best/awesome.

I do like that @couchdb on Twitter has it's own first person voice and I
do think continuing that in the other venues makes sense--as long as
we've got the interested hands to do the typing. :)