From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:53:26 GMT
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> Garren,
>
> On 24 January 2014 08:45, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > It is good to have these discussions, my only concern is that we scare
> off
> > people that are worried about sending a message to the mailing lists and
> > getting it wrong. There was an email earlier today where that happened to
> > some degree. I'm all for some helpful guidelines but we don't want to end
> > up coming across as those people that complain about what way a message
> is
> > sent.
>

> scaring people is a no-no-go. That was definitely not the intention of the
> discussion. So, I would like to write a summary to all lists with some easy
> to understand and helpful guidelines. I think they should be really
> liberal-minded. Unfortunately I will not make that happen today but can
> make it tomorrow. If anyone else wants to take this part just go ahead ...
>
> Thanks a lot for pointing this out!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Should we prefer A4 over US letter format? French european letter header or
the others? We should remember that people are used to think and write
differently depending on their culture, location or just mind. There is not
one way to answer to a mail. And that's from the beginning. Even the
netiquette isn't forcing that. I find cross-posting good when you want to
figure what this mail is about.

I don't think we should enforce any guideline here. I prefer to have a
feedback or a post than waiting for a post that won't come because someone
don't want to care about a formatted way to write it (even if these are
"just" guidelines) . Let just people follow their way here. You're free to
not read the mail :)

- benoit