From Jens Alfke <>
Subject Re: Disabling doc include
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 20:08:06 GMT

On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Jan Lehnardt <> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what scaling limit have you found? Is this documented somewhere?

By “we found” I should have said “we extrapolated”. We have customers that will need
hundreds of thousands of user accounts, and attaching that many replications to a central
master database wouldn’t be practical. Especially since they’d be filtered replications
— every time a document was added to the master database, CouchDB would have to run n filter
functions to decide whether to push it to n different user databases. Another scaling factor
is that, if documents are accessible to many users, the storage space needed for those documents
will be greatly multiplied since many replicas of them will exist.

If someone only needs a few hundred user or user-subset databases, though, this should be
a feasible approach.

View raw message