From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Scaling db-per-user (Was: Re: Disabling doc include)
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 00:51:08 GMT

On Jan 2, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org<mailto:jan@apache.org>>
wrote:

We added /_db_updates in 1.4.0 that allows building the above with the difference that a replication
only runs for active users, thus delaying most of the work until it is needed *and* avoiding
having to run hundreds of thousands of replications at the same time.

I’ve looked up the API docs for _db_updates*, but I don’t see how it’s related to this
topic. It appears to be a server-level changes feed that tells you when databases are created/deleted/changed.

I can see that you might use this to watch all the user databases and, when one changes, start
a one-shot push replication to the central db. But the flip side is that when the central
db changes you have to push the change to every single user database, and this doesn’t help
with that.

—Jens

* http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/api/server/common.html#db-updates