From Robert Newson <>
Subject Re: Timeout using Erlang views with large documents
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 12:32:48 GMT
I filed for this.

The patch will be a little more involved than just changing the prompt function as the run
method does not respect the timeout for many of its clauses. While changing the gen_server
call to infinity is an easy fix it removes any upper limit on execution time of a map or reduce
function. Perhaps that’s fine, maybe we allow native processes to take forever (in which
case we should remove all the existing timeout plumbing), but I can’t quite convince myself
of that.

On 20 Dec 2013, at 15:10, Adam Kocoloski <> wrote:

> Hey folks, back to the original question, the native process gen_server respects the
timeout internally but the public API in the module still makes a gen_server:call with the
default 5 second timeout:
> Contrast this with the OS process version where it sets the timeout on the client call
to infinity (thus leaving it to the server to control the flow):
> Teaching the native_process API to do the same would be a welcome change.  Is there a
JIRA for this one already?
> Adam

View raw message