From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:06:38 GMT

On Nov 14, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Alexander Shorin wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Filippo Fadda
> - Provide different from JSON response to clients: browsers,
> non-couchdb clients (mostly xml driven), etc.

You can do them in PHP or Ruby. In Rails you need 2 lines of code.
I'm not gonna to expose my database just to serve some different client, all the urls are
handled by a web server and I will serve any client from the web server. Security, consistence,
scalability.

> - Transform response without sharing same logic with every client.

You are missing something here. In a modern application all clients are handled by the same
web application. The application provide the right answer in function of the caller. Browser
will receive HTML, rss consumers will receive XML, third part applications will receive JSON
from APIs.

> Oh, get ready to be smashed by Javascript guys - there are a lot of
> tools to make rich JS couchapps (:

I know, but as Joan wrote in his presentation, if you are using a framework (Rails, Django,
Phalcon, Zend Framework, Symfony, Sinatra, Bottle, Lavarel and many others), those handlers
are useless, at least for the purpose described in the documentation. You don't need them,
you are just gonna complicate your life.
They still stands to be used in CouchApps, but you don't develop CouchApps with ElephantOnCouch.
:-)
A nice feature I have in ElephantOnCouch, for example, is the

Stanley made a point using them for specific tasks, but the problems he solved using show
and list could be solved in many other ways, and their use, at least for me, in the cases
he has spoken about, is a bit tricky.

Anyway this is just my opinion. :-)

-Filippo