From Joe RNL <jmor...@rednovalabs.com>
Subject Re: Couch crashing under medium load
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:59:54 GMT
OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Server : m1.xlarge amazon (but have tried on other sizes with no success)
Couchdb Version: 1.2.0
Crash Report:

[Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:30:51 GMT] [error] [<0.124.0>] {error_report,<0.30.0>,
                        {<0.124.0>,crash_report,
                         [[{initial_call,

 {mochiweb_socket_server,init,['Argument__1']}},
                           {pid,<0.124.0>},
                           {registered_name,[]},
                           {error_info,
                               {exit,eaddrinuse,
                                   [{gen_server,init_it,6},
                                    {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}},
                           {ancestors,
                               [couch_secondary_services,couch_server_sup,
                                <0.31.0>]},
                           {messages,[]},
                           {links,[<0.93.0>]},
                           {dictionary,[]},
                           {trap_exit,true},
                           {status,running},
                           {heap_size,1597},
                           {stack_size,24},
                           {reductions,455}],
                          []]}}
erlang: 5.8.5
spidermonkey: 1.9.1.15-2ppa0+1

Siege command :
siege -c 80 -i -d 1 URL
Typical response:

Transactions:         562 hits
Availability:       77.95 %
Elapsed time:       43.96 secs
Data transferred:        2.99 MB
Response time:        4.85 secs
Transaction rate:       12.78 trans/sec
Throughput:        0.07 MB/sec
Concurrency:       61.97
Successful transactions:         721
Failed transactions:         159
Longest transaction:       14.01
Shortest transaction:        0.01

Trying with 20-40 concurrent users is fine.
Tweaks: I've tried everything listed in this document:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Performance

Using htop I can see the memory usage slowly climb before couchdb crashes.
Usually around 3000 available of 14980MB available.

Thanks

joe