From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject why you should never use X
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:19:08 GMT
interesting write-up on the pitfalls the diaspora project faced down with
mongodb
http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2013/11/11/why-you-should-never-use-mongodb/

I've seen a few "what's your use case" or "what use cases is couchdb good
for" threads on the list, and I'd be curious what the top couchdb minds
have to say about Sarah's assertions, social data and these 'undirected
graphs'.

Sarah actually seems to come to this harsh conclusion [about json document
storage?]:

MongoDB’s ideal use case is even narrower than our television data. The
*only* thing it’s good at is storing arbitrary pieces of JSON. “Arbitrary,”
in this context, means that you don’t care *at all* what’s inside that
JSON. You don’t even look. There is no schema, not even an implicit schema,
as there was in our TV show data. Each document is just a blob whose
interior you make absolutely no assumptions about.

which seems a little extreme to me =/

--
*matt j. sorenson*