From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Added translators list to WIKI
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 21:10:33 GMT
On 22 November 2013 21:58, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> On 22 November 2013 19:49, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 21 November 2013 22:44, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have updated the https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Translation page and
>>> added the names of the translators and contributors for the CouchDB
>>> translation team. A big thank you at this point! You rock!
>>>
>>> Info for the people on the list: if you don't want to be listed there,
>>> please drop me a note.
>>>

>> HI. I am not in your contributorsgroup, so I cannot edit the wiki. but
>> you can write "danish,setup,reviewer" for me. I might find time around xmas
>> to do the translatation.
>>

> oh easy . just create an account and I will add you ;-) But I changed the
> description already for you

thx for making the change.

my account account jani@apache.org, full name: "jan iversen", You might
find me in a couple of other projects.

>> To all other readers. We are still hiring :-) Just drop a note here if
>>> you want to join the translator team.
>>>

>> I read your doc. and I have a suggestion, let new people start doing
>> suggestions (like mail patches to the code), and then after some
>> suggestions "upgrade" them.
>>
>> You should also think about translation QA. Ideally there should be a
>> person "responsible" for each language that reviews the work. A person
>> deeply involved in the details of the translation are likely to oversee
>> e.g. terminology, so having a second person just read the translation gives
>> a lot higher quality.
>>

> thanks a lot. Both ideas are good. At the moment we have an increasing
> number of translators and I think it's not a bad idea to let them run for a
> moment. Then we should think about "install" the position of QA. And also
> think about to let new translators first suggest and then upgrade them to
> submitters. Maybe the responsible translator for each language can then
> decide to upgrade the new one ...

If I may recommend, middle term, make sure you have a committer as
"responsible" translator, then he/she can also commit to svn and make life
easier for you. I like your idea of letting the responsible translator to
"upgrade" the new ones. Just dont ask me to add that many admins :-)

ASF is a very flat organisation, which I really like, but I believe
strongly its good to take a look at new people coming in so the
contributor/committer difference is something I have focus on.

I would not make the QA very formal, but merely use it as good practice,
and hence document it. Also remember it motivates to give people
responsibility, a lot more than making rules.

rgds
jan I.