From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:19:38 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Filippo Fadda <
> filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:
>
> > Any application that uses CouchDB as a pure database doesn't need show
> and list handlers. They are simply useless, in fact I didn't implement
> (yet) them in ElephantOnCouch library because I don't see any use case for
> them. And I'm not sure if I will never implement them, probably not.
>
> Yup, same thing with TouchDB and Couchbase Lite — there wasn’t any need
> for them so I didn’t implement them. They’re not part of the database,
> they’re part of a web app server. IMHO it would be cleaner to have a sharp
> dividing line between the two.

I have examples in prod that shows that not anyone is sharing the same
opinion as you ;) There are plenty of example where lists and shows can be
used. Without that they will be like all others of their competitors. Where
the use of lists and shows, the fact that you can replicate them (which is
possible when you use ios and android outside the app store in entreprises
or private events) is a huge advantage.

> (Of course you can do stuff with these handlers other than generating HTML
> for web pages. Just as you can do all kinds of crazy stuff with the C
> preprocessor. Doesn’t mean that’s the best way to do it…)

it doesn't mean it is not a bad way as well.... Why some person are using
SQL? Because they can query the data. Why woud you like to have shows and
lists or any feature like this? Because you eventually build your own way
to query your data. Even create an SQL like query language on top of lists
when they are extended.

- benoit