From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: How to configure a limit on simultaneous replications?
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:10:21 GMT

On Nov 26, 2013, at 10:07 AM, R.J. Steinert <rj@rjsteinert.com> wrote:

> when CouchDB tries to replicate them all at once, the replications
> never seem to finish in a dependable fashion. Sometimes some of the
> databases will finish replicating others will hang for days. Each database
> is only a couple dozen KB so these replication processes aren't managing a
> whole lot of data.

That’s weird. What sort of network connection is the replication using? Is this over a LAN
(WiFi or Ethernet), a wider-range Internet connection, a cell network…? Basically the slower
/ laggier / flakier the network is, the more roadblocks are thrown in the way of the replicator.
It should still work reliably, though, so what you’re describing sounds like a bug; a dozen
tiny databases should be able to replicate in a few seconds unless there are major network
issues.

(Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the replicator implementation in CouchDB itself, although
I have implemented compatible replicators so I know the protocol well.)

—Jens