From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:06:53 GMT

On Nov 14, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
> Why I do need PHP or Ruby, when CouchDB is able to do the same without
> them?(: Having yet another technology in whole system only raises his
> complexity and reduced fault tolerance.

CouchDB is not able to do the same, neither is JavaScript used in combination with list and
show only. You can use Backbone, Mustache, Node.js, but it's like using Rails or any other
framework, with the exception it's JavaScript. OK, you like JavaScript, go with the above
technologies but don't tell I can do the same just with CouchDB, because is a lie. :-)
You can't compare the features of a full stack framework with the list and show handlers provided
by CouchDB. IMO couch apps are just a joke, real applications are quite different. For me
a couch app is an application stored and served by CouchDB, not an application written in
JavaScript.
For example you can't inside a show, query CouchDB to get correlate data and assemble them
to provide a result. Neither you can do it in a list. And don't tell me you can write your
views to return all the documents you need with just one query, because you can't, this is
not a real scenario.

> Yes, if I'm using any mentioned framework I'll better take Postgresql
> (omg, what I'm say!) since now my database is just database, not
> application server like CouchDB is.

No if CouchDB fits your needs. When you need fault tolerance, scalability and replication
for free, you may go with CouchDB. I think DB in CouchDB is there for some reason, else it
would call CouchApp Server...
There are plenty app servers out there better than CouchDB, but I don't see any other database
like CouchDB, built on the same concepts. And sincerely I didn't approach CouchDB because
I wanted an application server.

> P.S. We have different use cases and there are different requirement
> are applied to CouchDB to his features. Like with those Postgresql why
> do you need PL/pgSQL feature when you can do the same on your app
> side?

PL/SQL is something serious, it has been created to write stored procedures. And stored procedures
still make sense nowadays, even if the application logic is not anymore in the database. Please,
you can't compare show and list as they are actually with stored procedures. I have a 1000
pages book just describing Oracle PL/SQL and it's a 15 years old.

-Filippo