From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB vs RethinkDB
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:13:49 GMT

On Nov 5, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Ryan Mohr <ryan@kumu.io>
 wrote:

> Rethink caught my interest a little while back too.  Looks like a well
> designed database and a great collection of tools to support it.
>
> The immediate difference that jumped out at me (and the ultimate reason I
> chose couch over rethink) is that rethink does not and will never support
> master-master replication.  See this thread for some background:
> https://github.com/rethinkdb/rethinkdb/issues/1019#issuecomment-19573253
>
> Both databases are "distributed" but in different respects.  CouchDB is
> "distributed" in the same way git is "distributed" (eg we're all equals).
> RethinkDB is "distributed" in the scaling sense (sharding / cluster-wide
> queries) but there is always an authoritative master.

It seems to me that one could build an add-on to any database to support this I think?  I
was actually wondering how difficult it would be to build a 'generic replication api' that
leverages the same CouchDB replication protocol…  Has anyone endeavored to try anything
like this?  It seems like it should be straight forward.

In a sense it does feel a lot like BigCouch + MongoDB…