From Matthieu Rakotojaona <matthieu.rakotoja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can CouchDB be Distributed in a Fail-safe Manner?
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 18:41:44 GMT
Excerpts from Hank Knight's message of 2013-11-06 19:27:56 +0100:
> I would like to distribute a CouchDB database on a minimum of 3
> servers for the purpose of redundancy.
>
> An attachment could be accessed like this:
>
> http://cdb1.example.com/abc/xyz/image.jpg
> http://cdb2.example.com/abc/xyz/image.jpg
> http://cdb3.example.com/abc/xyz/image.jpg
>
> Is it possible to access the database from a single domain name that
> would automatically resolve to an instance that is running?
>
> For example if the server running on of the instances was experiencing
> a power outage it should automatically resolve to an instance that
> works.
>
> If so, where can I find documentation about how to do this?

This really should be the role of SRV records [0], but you'd need to ask
http clients to look out for a _http._tcp record. In the meanwhile, the
standard solution is a frontend proxy like HAProxy.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record

--
Matthieu Rakotojaona