From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug? Database compaction keeps re-running continuously on CouchDB 1.4
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 08:26:42 GMT

It makes intuitive sense that setting that % too low will cause endless (and pointless) compactions
(the ratio of disk_size to data_size exceeding your % immediately after compaction). I'm fairly
sure, for example, that the data_size value does not include the space consumed by the many
database footers in the file.

B.

On 5 Oct 2013, at 07:43, Calle Arnesten <calle.arnesten@codekick.com> wrote:

> I tested to change the db_fragmentation to different levels. If I raise it to 70% the
compaction stops, but for 60% and lower it keeps running all the time.

> So there seems to be something weird with how CouchDB calculates the fragmentation level.
As I said, I have a large percentage of deleted documents in the database, so perhaps it is
not including them correctly in the calculation? It could definitely be near 70% of the database
size that is deleted documents.

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:17, Calle Arnesten wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently upgraded from CouchDB 1.2 to 1.4. I have noticed that the database compaction
is running more or less all the time during the allowed compaction time. Is there a known
issue for this with 1.4?

>> The compaction is completed on each run and the reported database size is smaller
on the first run during the compaction time. But then it starts again for the same database,
and when completed, starts again, etc. It's like it thinks that the database is still fragmented
even if it's not.

>> The databases are quite large (~5GB), so it's not the case that many documents have
had time to change during the compaction time.