From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject Re: osqa
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:38:00 GMT

> I don't want to discuss the quality of the answer you can find on a stack
> exchange inc website. Stack overflow generate a lot of noise for sure, and
> it's really difficult to find valuable and deeper information among the
> noise it generates in the search engines but it's not the thing I want to
> discuss here.
>
> Also I don't buy the argument of "there are more people on SO". One true
> thing is that most are here too even if you had to register. Simply reusing
> your email could also work as your login, you don't need more.
>
> But I don't want to enter in such considerations yet. It's kind of
> premature.

I think the hallmark of the succession of
where-we-go-online-to-find-tech-answers is how they handle and improve on
the signal to noise ratio - e.g. how efficiently can we cultivate and make
discoverable good answers.

All valid points, and yes perhaps I am thinking too far off in a strategic
tangent. But in the same vein, someone ought to be thinking strategically
about this... because the lessons of the Drupal anecdote are that an open
source project, and especially it's community, undergoes certain, sometimes
intense transformations as it grows (and couchdb will certainly grow!)...
Eventually more of those email recommendations for couchdb increase and
reach further up the managerial ladder and said managers check... wait for
it, the most popular support channels (e.g. SO) to make their 2-minute
determination on whether it is indeed viable technology...

and so on :)

> To be clear I am looking for a tool to handle QA that can be controlled by
> the community: the content license, the way you can extend it... It
> appeared to me that OSQA could have been a good way to do it. From the
> discussion I can see a list of questions we should ask before choosing it
>
> - How it can scale?
> - Which scale do we need ?
> - Is it easy to manage it?
>
> I would also be interesting to know what people are expecting from such
> tool, which kind of features. Then we could probably list some solutions
> and poll everyone here about what they want even if these solutions are
> proprietary, based on some laws nobody really want etc.

Alright, I'll drop in my other 2 cents now:
Open Atrium 2.0 (based on Drup

al 7.0 heh)
or How about that cozy cloud thing that was posted here last week?
or How about the 'apps' for garden20...

... to toss a couple of dogfooding options in the mix!