From Frank Rousseau <frank.rouss...@cozycloud.cc>
Subject Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:26:09 GMT
Hi all,

   We started Cozy because we were annoyed by the fact that our personal
data were spread among major cloud company silos. We wanted to take the
full potential out of our data without worrying about privacy issues.

To solve that, we built a personal PaaS that is simple to use and allows
everyone to host and build easily web
applications that collaborate around their personal data. The software
we chosed to store the data is CouchDB. Why  that? Because we want to :

* allow our user to backup their data super-easily
* allow our user to have data proxies on their device to keep on working
even when they are "offline".

Moreover we like the Document Store paradigm, so we really enjoyed using
CouchDB in our developments.
(see full architecture here:
http://cozy.io/hack/getting-started/architecture-overview.html)
NB: Today, we are working on a FUSE implementation to allow users to
access to their DB attachments like an usual filesystem.

About who is behind the project, it is supported by a startup, Cozy
Cloud, part of the Mozilla WebFWD accelerator (our business model is
based on professional services around the solution for hosting providers
and hardware manufacturers).

For your information, yesterday, we published our first release, name
"Snowden", as a tribute to the person the NSA hates the most! He
provided us with proofs of what we have suspected: the cloud is not a
paradise. It has helped us tremendously in explaining the benefits of
Cozy, we are grateful for his work.

If you want to give it a try, you will find informations in the links
below.
NB: This first version only includes the core module. The available
applications (contacts, calendar, photos...) still require some work.

Annoucement: http://cozy.io/v1-snowden-release/
Project website: http://cozy.io
Demo: https://demo.cozycloud.cc

If you see any way we could collaborate, we would be glad to hear from you!

Regards,

Frank Rousseau

--
twitter.com/mycozycloud