From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: database limits: how many dbs can I have in one couchdb instance
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:44:39 GMT
>Hi all,
>
>meanwhile the patch for "validate_doc_read" is not applied I am studying
>different workarounds.
>
>One valid solution for our use case is to create a db for each user and
>store the user specific stuff in that db.
>That has the benefit that we can limit the access to that db with the
>standard security mechanism and we do not
>need to fall back to middleware logic.
>
>The biggest problem I see in the approach is that we need to know what
>is the max number of "user" db
>we can have in one instance. Regarding the size of this db it is
>expected to be a couple of smaller docs.
>
>Somebody has experience with that? Like rule of thumb do not deploy more
>then 10k databases in one instance ...
>
>TIA for any thoughts.
>
>salu2
>
>--
>Thorsten Scherler
>codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
>

>http://www.codebusters.es/

Hi Thorsten,

The number of DBs doesn't really matter, barring sane OS limits of files/dir.

CouchDB uses an LRU cache to keep an appropriate number of DB handles
open for active connections.

A better set of questions to ask is:

- how many active concurrent users (=== DBs) do you expect?
- what sort of replication (esp filtered, continuous …) do you expect?

A+
Dave