From "Chung, Yang" <Yang.Ch...@spirent.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB crashing at random times
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:15:49 GMT
Hi Dave,

Your suggestion certainly worked. I changed the 'delayed_commits' to false
in the config, and I didn't see the crash (and subsequent connection
refused error).

What are the implications of setting 'delayed_commits' to false? Or better
yet, what does setting 'delayed_commits' to true and false do?

Thank you so much for your help, BTW!

-Yang

>Hey Yang,
>
>TL;DR this looks like a bug in recreate!, it looks like a race cond in
>recreate, where you see:
>
># create a new db but you're told there's already one there:
>PUT /av_tests_test 412
>Š.
>
>Perhaps couchrest's recreate! should handle this with a check for the
>completed deletion, maybe HEAD /db (or a simple GET would do too). Or
>maybe couch's DELETE /db should return a 202 http://httpstatus.es/202
>by default.
>
>Anyway,  I suggest you re-try this with delayed commits off, `curl
>-XPUT http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/couchdb/delayed_commits
>--data-binary '"false"'` and if this persists, report on the couchrest
>group.
>
>BTW contrary to popular belief, in Erlang, the stack trace itself is
>not necessarily a reason for panic, it can occur normally e.g. when
>certain config parameters are changed, or as various processes start
>up or terminate & clean up. So, the stuff happening before the erlang
>stack trace is also useful - we can see what was going on prior to the
>stacktrace such as the HTTP calls & the associated pids.
>
>A+
>Dave

E-mail confidentiality.
--------------------------------
This e-mail contains confidential and / or privileged information belonging to Spirent Communications
plc, its affiliates and / or subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution and / or the taking of any action
based upon reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly forbidden. If you have
received this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from
your system.

Spirent Communications plc
Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.
Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677

Registered in England Number 470893
Registered at Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,
26750 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91302, USA.
Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300