From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: distributed map/reduce in BigCouch
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 22:26:32 GMT

On Aug 5, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Stanley Iriele <siriele@breaktimestudios.com> wrote:

> I have to play with Bigcouch a little more. while I am here...what is the
> difference between Bigcouch's clustering techniques and couchbase's XDCR?

They’re not the same type of thing. BigCouch clustering is a lot like Couchbase Server’s
clustering. (I don’t know enough details of either one to describe the differences, but
at a high level they both work the same way, by partitioning the keyspace and giving each
node ownership of a subset of the keys.)

XDCR (Cross-Data-Center Replication) is a different protocol used to replicate changes between
Couchbase clusters that are not in close contact, for example if you run an application in
geographically dispersed data centers. It has a similar role to CouchDB replication, although
the actual protocols are completely different, and XDCR is less sophisticated since Couchbase
doesn’t track revision histories of documents.

—Jens