From "Stock, Ingemar" <Ingemar.St...@Philotech.de>
Subject RE: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 07:41:46 GMT
Hi Peter,

there is no technical reason to do this but I'm working in the aviation industry and there
is the philosophy: put only things in the aircraft you really need. This should improve reliability
and reduce vulnerability. I have to argue why I need a library/package and I'm having problems
to argue why I need libX11 etc. The few megabytes are not my problem my problem it's the environment
I'm working.

I would also love to do a simple "yum install couchdb" and let the package manager do the
rest but I can't.

Ingemar

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lemenkov [mailto:lemenkov@gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 8/1/2013 8:11 AM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

2013/8/1 Stock, Ingemar <Ingemar.Stock@philotech.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to reduce package dependencies of couchdb. Is there any way to
> get rid of some rpm packages? When I install couchdb on a fresh minimal
> CentOS installation yum installs about 70 packages. Has anybody
> experience with stripping down erlang to the required parts?

You shouldn't do that. That's the point of packaging - automatic
dependency tracking, functional consistency, and system
reproducibility. Do you have any technical reasoning behind your
intention? I mean maybe you concerned about additional few megabytes
of HDD size, insecure packages within the dependency chain, or
anything else.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.