From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs JavaScript
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:50:33 GMT

On Aug 14, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Erlang server bypassed stdio interface communication and addtional
> JSON decode/encode roundtrip, so it is faster than JS at some point.

Yeah — the ironic thing is that state-of-the-art JS runtimes are probably faster than Erlang*
these days, but JS views are still going to be slower because (a) they run in a separate process,
and (b) the docs have to be translated from Erlang terms into JS objects. My experience from
working inter-language bridges is that parameter marshaling is generally a performance killer.

FWIW, Couchbase Server 2.0 uses V8 instead of SpiderMonkey and runs it in-process; both those
changes really help performance.

—Jens

* Not intending to start a language-performance flame war! But Erlang’s interpreter is quite
primitive by today’s standards: it doesn’t even have a JIT.