From Cameron Jacobson <came...@datashovel.com>
Subject Re: best way to "warm" views offline
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:29:29 GMT
Right, I get all that.  But I've always imagined ideally my app would be
serving requests while the new index is building.  Once the new index is
built, then I deploy my new version of the app and "flip the switch" so
that now my app is serving off of the newly indexed views.

One way I've anticipated doing this is by versioning the design document
(ie. _design/version1, _design/version2).  But more interested in best
practices here.

Thanks

On 08/16/2013 06:57 PM, Filippo Fadda wrote:
> You can only "warm up" your views querying them. You can use cURL from your command line.
This will cause the creation of an index file per design document. This index file is updated
each time another query is made on a view defined inside the design document. A view is never
updated when you insert a document, but when you query the view itself. For performance reasons
you can choose to avoid the index update when you query a view, but the results will not include
the documents inserted since last query. Anyway you must force this behavior using a query
parameter. The index creation requires time, but the index update is generally fast enough.
> So, the best approach is querying all the views when you deploy the application, because
indexing is a slow process. You can do that with a bash script. Eventually, you can query
multiple views at the same time, so you can benefit of a multi-core architecture.