From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: 404 response after updating document in futon
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:55:28 GMT

On Aug 26, 2013, at 3:26 PM, Mark Hahn <mark@reevuit.com<mailto:mark@reevuit.com>>
wrote:

I don't know if this is related, but I see out-of-date results in futon all
the time.  I've gotten in the habit of hitting refresh twice instead of
once.  There must be some kind of cache.

It might be an issue with Etag or Last-Modified headers in the response  — some browsers
send a conditional GET when you hit Refresh, and if the browser returns a 304 the page won’t
be updated.

I just looked at a Futon response for a web page displaying a single document, and it looks
like

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:52:43 GMT
Server: CouchDB/1.3.1 (Erlang OTP/R15B03)
last-modified: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:52:15 GMT

It’s been a while since I last dug into HTTP cachability, so I don’t remember exactly
what “private, must-revalidate” means; but I _think_ it allows the client to send a conditional
GET. So if Futon isn’t accurately generating the last-modified header (I have no idea where
“28 Jun 2013” came from in that response!) it could cause problems with browser refresh.

—Jens