From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs JavaScript
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 05:01:26 GMT

On Aug 14, 2013, at 9:53 PM, Andrey Kuprianov <andrey.kouprianov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nope, not misreading anything. And I understand they do. But the sooner
> they finish the better, wont you agree? It's mainly because of that we dont
> do view updates during weekdays.

OK, you must be using CouchDB for some kind of analytics, or other batch processing, if you
can get away for _days_ with stale views. Which is a totally valid and important use of CouchDB.
But it’s completely different from using it in a live user-facing application, where changes
need to be reflected pretty near instantly. That’s why I’m disagreeing with Jason’s
unqualified statements.

If anyone needs an example, consider a typical online shopping site. Let’s say the page
that shows the contents of your shopping cart is driven by a view query. If a customer adds
an item to their cart and then goes to view their cart a few seconds later, the item had better
show up. If it takes 30 seconds to show up — let alone a week — that’s going to confuse
and annoy users.

—Jens