From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs JavaScript
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:49:58 GMT

On Aug 15, 2013, at 1:09 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> Off the top of my head, I don't know a safe
> way to evaluate JS in the VM. A NIF-based approach would either be
> quite elaborate or would trip all the scheduling problems that
> long-running NIF's are now notorious for.

Yeah, there could be problems with this. For example, a couple of the standard CouchDB unit
tests failed — IIRC there is one that intentionally blows up the JS stack with an infinite
regress, which eventually causes SpiderMonkey to segfault. I could see that being a problem
for hosted environments where multiple developers are sharing a single CouchDB instance.

—Jens