From Mike Marino <mmar...@gmail.com>
Subject Auto-update views using os_daemon
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:10:34 GMT
Hi all,

I was looking for a clean way to auto-update views (e.g. after a certain
number of document inserts) while avoiding running cron jobs.  I chose to
use an os_daemon script since this ties the daemon explicitly to couch,
meaning I can stop and start couch and ensure that this script starts with
it.

I wanted to submit the solution here for comments and suggestions, and also
because I didn't find a similar script around in the documentation.  I
would also link on the wiki but I don't yet have rights.

The daemon may be configured to force a view update after a given number of
document inserts.  This might not fit all use cases well, but it fits ours
since we have a steady (roughly constant) stream of documents being
inserted.  Certainly, different requirements could use this script as a
starting point.

Some possible updates I have in mind include updating to read configuration
from the couchdb config as well as perhaps some other solution for storing
credentials for password-protected dbs (suggestions?).

Here is the gist, I welcome your comments or suggestions:

https://gist.github.com/mgmarino/6117801

Cheers,
Mike