incubator-couchdb-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to wrap my head around CouchDB
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:03:28 GMT
Hi,

> 1 - How is data represented in CouchDB as compared to MySQL?  How can I create (or visualize
in my head) multiple tuples of the same type of data (as in a table that has columns of specific
types and then each entry is a row)?

Nohow. These are two very different databases with different
approaches to store and work with data. Forget about MySQL's
relations, sql itself, tuples and field of sets algebra. Think in
document-oriented way.

> If I need to store multiple orders in a system (where the data looks roughly the same,
how would that look?
Each order as a separate document.

> 2 - How is binary data handled inside of CouchDB?  As in, how is data stored inside of
CouchDB and then used (text and binary)?
Deep inside CouchDB stores data on disk in Erlang binary terms, but
for public it works with JSON: accepts JSON data and returns JSON
data. So as you know JSON is not friendly for binary data, but there
is special case store binary data as document's attachments. See docs
for their API:
http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/api/documents.html#get-db-doc-attachment
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API#Attachments

> 3 - Is this something that will be explained later in the book or did I miss something
important?
Sure it will (; But also you'd missed attachments section:
http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/api.html#attachments


--
,,,^..^,,,


On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Yves S. Garret
<yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently picked up this book:
> http://guide.couchdb.org/editions/1/en/index.html
>
> I've read Part I and so far so good.  However, as I'm going through the
> book, I'm having some
> nagging concerns.  Here are the questions that I have:
> 1 - How is data represented in CouchDB as compared to MySQL?  How can I
> create (or visualize in
> my head) multiple tuples of the same type of data (as in a table that has
> columns of specific types
> and then each entry is a row)?  If I need to store multiple orders in a
> system (where the data looks
> roughly the same, how would that look?
> 2 - How is binary data handled inside of CouchDB?  As in, how is data
> stored inside of CouchDB
> and then used (text and binary)?
> 3 - Is this something that will be explained later in the book or did I
> miss something important?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Mime
View raw message