From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: Is this use case correct for Couchdb
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 22:14:13 GMT
I don't know if can be an option for you, but you can use separate databases per forecast,
and when don't you need them anymore, you simply delete them.

CouchDB is an append only database, the only way to remove revisions and deleted documents
is through a compaction, but still some information remain. The alternative is purge every
single document revision and then run a compaction. But you can't specify an expiring date
for your documents. You can do it creating a view in which you store the expiration date,
but you'll need a script to purge documents querying the view using as key the expiration
date.

CouchDB doesn't do it automatically.

-Filippo

On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Richard Schmidt wrote:

> We are currently using a Oracle DB. A very expensive, and surprisingly unreliable way
of storing documents. Out super reliable oracle appliance died and took out business with
it. http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/metservice-promises-mid-morning-return-ck-141662

> My gut feeling is that there has to be a better way.
>
> CouchDb appears to be a perfect fit for our needs except that we don’t want to keep
years and years of old data that non-one is interested in.