From "Rao, Zhiqing" <z...@qti.qualcomm.com>
Subject RE: What's the best way to replicate a couple of big databases
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:18:36 GMT
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.  I have filed JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1856
to report this problem.

And one question by the way: I guess the problem is caused by the time-out of the http-connection.
Is there anyway I can configure the replication time-out for one document. For example, I'd
like the http-request of one doc stay without time-out even for more than 10 minutes.  I have
tried to set connection_timeout to 3000, 000, but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,
Zhiqing

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cottlehuber [mailto:dch@jsonified.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:42 PM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: What's the best way to replicate a couple of big databases

On 18 July 2013 15:59, Rao, Zhiqing <zrao@qti.qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a dozen of big databases which are about 100 Mb ~ 2GB, in win7
> host( I can move to linux server later) , and want them to be replicated daily to another
Couch server. However, I tried the following ways:

> 1)      Create the corresponding docs in the _replicator database in futon, it works
one by one, but sometimes the erl.exe crash and I

> Have to restart couchdb;

Welcome Zhiqing,

This shouldn't happen if you're running couchdb as a service, and these databases are definitely
smaller than ones I've used in the past without issues.

- are you running as a service?
- exactly which windows is this on?
- what couchdb release & what erlang release?
- can you switch debug level logging on (for a brief period of time, it doesn't require a
restart but it does generate a lot of logs)

curl -XGET http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level
- note this parameter down and use later on as your_level below curl -XPUT http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level
-d '"debug"'
- initiate your replications
- after issue turns up, apply your old config back again curl -XPUT http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level
-d '"your_level"'

NB I'm not at a windows box right now to confirm if the quoting works or not, check http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows
for the details.

Then please open a JIRA ticket with the logs; you should confirm there are no passwords or
related confidential info (network names etc) present in the logs, along with curl -XGET http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/replicator
and the replication you are using, and a rough estimate of average size of docs & details
on attachments, and any other useful info like %mem used etc.

A+
Dave