From Steven Barlow <stemai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Purging documents and view invalidation
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 07:38:37 GMT
OK, the thing is, I have been having some issues when I want to
re-replicated documents that have been previously purged. Thinking
about this some more, and reading some of the below thread, I suspect
that the replication probably is failing to always replicate documents
that have been purged, due to some stored sequence number. My
suspicion is, therefore, that at least as far as replication is
concerned, purging a document is not "as if the document had never
existed".

I'm tempted to suggest that this is a bug with purging and replication?

On 08/07/2013, at 5:18 PM, Jason Smith <jason.h.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul, I believe you are correct on both counts: It would not re-replicate
> but IMO it is a fragile thing to depend on.
>
> The database has a purge_seq value which tracks the number of purges. I do
> not recall if that is factored into the replication ID. It should be. If
> the target database has undergone a purge since you last met you have no
> idea what its state is. Note, the database name is relevant to the
> replication id, so simply copying foo.couch to bar.couch would trigger
> re-replicating the purged documents.
>
> To me, purging is as if a document had never existed. A replication should
> recreate it (unless you change your filter policy or validate_doc_update).
> This seems to be what Steven is doing so I think he is using it correctly.
> CouchDB purge is like Git rebase: sure it is dangerous, but that's because
> it is powerful; and sometimes power users need power tools.
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@sophos.com> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't the _local document which tracks replication prevent that?
>> Provided the source and destinations databases don't change URL it should
>> pick up where it left off every time, and therefore never consider the
>> documents due for consideration unless they change. Are you suggesting that
>> it's rather fragile to rely on that?

Abingdon,