From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Are pull replications really still faster than push?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:32:28 GMT
The wiki documentation of the _replicate API says:

> As of CouchDB 0.9, pull replication is a lot more efficient and resistant to errors,
and it is suggested that you use pull replication in most cases, especially if your documents
are large or you have large attachments.
(http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Replication)

This was probably written circa 2009. Is it still true? I know from experience that the pull
replication protocol has a big bottleneck in that it has to fetch revisions using individual
GET requests, whereas push replication can send them in bulk via a POST to _bulk_docs. In
practice I have seen this have a big effect on pull-replication performance.

—Jens