From Tilmann Sittig <sit...@prime-research.com>
Subject AW: Speed up Replication with large Database
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 08:38:49 GMT
Hello B,

thanks for the info, i will be looking into compacting the Database before my next encounter
with this large DB.

Tilmann

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Robert Newson [mailto:rnewson@apache.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2013 13:01
An: user@couchdb.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Speed up Replication with large Database

Hi,

The replication process will be reading through your databases _changes feed. Copying the
file to the target will immediately ensure you have a redundant copy but it will not do anything
to speed up a replication as the replicator has no one to detect that you copied the file.
What it's now doing is asking the target if it has the documents present on the source. Since
you've copied the file, the answer is always "yes" but it has to ask anyway. It will be going
faster than if you hadn't copied it, as it won't need to transfer document or attachment bodies,
but it will still take time.

a 600 GB .couch file is very unwieldy, though, have you ever compacted that database?

B.

On 29 May 2013 16:24, Tilmann Sittig <sittig@prime-research.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a Question concerning Replication i found nothing about so far.
>
> I was asked to change a single couchDB Server to a load-balanced 2-node-setup.
> Setup with haproxy went smoothly, but when i got to Replication, i was confronted with
a large 600 GB data.couch file on the original server and a mediocre Bandwith between the
servers.
> So i sent a Harddisk to the Hoster, copied the data.couch file and installed it on the
new 2nd Node.

> When i configured a continuous Replication after that transfer i expected a much faster
Replication/Sync, but it is still running.