From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speed up Replication with large Database
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 14:06:15 GMT
It's a hack, but if you know the sequence number of the database when you copied it you can
add a parameter to the body of the replication specification to "fast-forward" it and bypass
the checks:

"since_seq": 1234

Adam

On May 30, 2013, at 7:01 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The replication process will be reading through your databases
> _changes feed. Copying the file to the target will immediately ensure
> you have a redundant copy but it will not do anything to speed up a
> replication as the replicator has no one to detect that you copied the
> file. What it's now doing is asking the target if it has the documents
> present on the source. Since you've copied the file, the answer is
> always "yes" but it has to ask anyway. It will be going faster than if
> you hadn't copied it, as it won't need to transfer document or
> attachment bodies, but it will still take time.
>
> a 600 GB .couch file is very unwieldy, though, have you ever compacted
> that database?
>
> B.
>

> On 29 May 2013 16:24, Tilmann Sittig <sittig@prime-research.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a Question concerning Replication i found nothing about so far.
>>
>> I was asked to change a single couchDB Server to a load-balanced 2-node-setup.
>> Setup with haproxy went smoothly, but when i got to Replication, i was confronted
with a large 600 GB data.couch file on the original server and a mediocre Bandwith between
the servers.
>> So i sent a Harddisk to the Hoster, copied the data.couch file and installed it on
the new 2nd Node.

>> When i configured a continuous Replication after that transfer i expected a much
faster Replication/Sync, but it is still running.