From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: virtualizing databases
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 03:21:30 GMT
On May 29, 2013 3:23 AM, "Stephen Bartell" <snbartell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.  I'm not sure if the subject really is the right terminology for
what I'm trying to do.

> What I want to do is maintain a routing table of database:destination
pairs, so that on my couchdb I can name my databases however I want.  I
want to virtualize my database names.

> I can see how this concept might be the basis for sharding.  So maybe
something like this already exists.  But sharding is not my goal here.  I
want to use this mostly for maintenance.  Oftentimes I need to do some work
on a database, like trimming it down or filtering some stuff out.  This
work can take hours and I want the database always available to the end
users.  So for example, I have a database endpoint called "database" which
maps to "database_a". In the background I might begin a filtered
replication from "database_a" to "database_b".  Users can still access
"database" while "database_b" is being created.  When the replication to
"database_b" is done, I want to change my proxy table so that requests to
"database" now go to "database_b".  I can now forget about "database_a".

> I'm sure many of you guys have run into this kind of thing before.  What
would you guys recommend.

> Thanks!

DB aliases may sove that. There is a ticket about it. The questiin now is
where to store this meta info.

- benot