From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speed up Replication with large Database
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 09:00:40 GMT
Note that since_seq is new in CouchDB 1.2.0.

B.

On 31 May 2013 09:38, Tilmann Sittig <sittig@prime-research.com> wrote:
> Hello B,
>
> thanks for the info, i will be looking into compacting the Database before my next encounter
with this large DB.

> Tilmann
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

the file to the target will immediately ensure you have a redundant copy but it will not do
anything to speed up a replication as the replicator has no one to detect that you copied
the file. What it's now doing is asking the target if it has the documents present on the
source. Since you've copied the file, the answer is always "yes" but it has to ask anyway.
It will be going faster than if you hadn't copied it, as it won't need to transfer document
or attachment bodies, but it will still take time.

> a 600 GB .couch file is very unwieldy, though, have you ever compacted that database?
>
> B.
>

> On 29 May 2013 16:24, Tilmann Sittig <sittig@prime-research.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a Question concerning Replication i found nothing about so far.
>>
>> I was asked to change a single couchDB Server to a load-balanced 2-node-setup.
>> Setup with haproxy went smoothly, but when i got to Replication, i was confronted
with a large 600 GB data.couch file on the original server and a mediocre Bandwith between
the servers.
>> So i sent a Harddisk to the Hoster, copied the data.couch file and installed it on
the new 2nd Node.

>> When i configured a continuous Replication after that transfer i expected a much
faster Replication/Sync, but it is still running.