From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache couchdb 1.3.0 build from source has some problems stopping
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 12:32:02 GMT
This is a known issue on Debian/Ubuntu, at least. Sometimes the
pidfile is empty after startup, and this is why stop fails (it doesn't
know what to stop). This has been reported intermittently for a long
time now but no one has yet figured out why it happens. It's almost
always reported on ubuntu, but I think that might just be a measure of
its popularity than anything else.

Workarounds include using runit instead of the init.d script as well
as a manual kill -9 if the pidfile is empty.

It appears to only happen sometimes on first install or at system
startup and then seems to right itself for subsequent stop/start
calls.

B.