From Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: virtualizing databases
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 07:03:05 GMT
How long is the list of databases you want to alias? Could you do it all in a proxy in front
of couch?

On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 02:23, Stephen Bartell wrote:

> Hi all. I'm not sure if the subject really is the right terminology for what I'm trying
to do.

> What I want to do is maintain a routing table of database:destination pairs, so that
on my couchdb I can name my databases however I want. I want to virtualize my database names.

> I can see how this concept might be the basis for sharding. So maybe something like this
already exists. But sharding is not my goal here. I want to use this mostly for maintenance.
Oftentimes I need to do some work on a database, like trimming it down or filtering some stuff
out. This work can take hours and I want the database always available to the end users. So
for example, I have a database endpoint called "database" which maps to "database_a". In the
background I might begin a filtered replication from "database_a" to "database_b". Users can
still access "database" while "database_b" is being created. When the replication to "database_b"
is done, I want to change my proxy table so that requests to "database" now go to "database_b".
I can now forget about "database_a".