From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject RE: Erlang view timeout
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 09:27:36 GMT
The one document which is causing me trouble contains ~400k entries in an array and I want
to do an emit for each row. So it's a bit silly really. It just worked when I had <100k
entries but I've clearly pushed it too far.
I think I'll look into splitting my documents up. That's probably a more sustainable approach,
but if I could have tweaked the timeout it would have been a nice quick fix for the moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Newson [mailto:rnewson@apache.org]
Sent: 07 May 2013 10:06
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Erlang view timeout

Ah, sorry. Reading couch_native_process.erl it seems you can't set that timeout without a
remote shell. How big are these documents?

On 7 May 2013 09:57, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@sophos.com> wrote:
> I tried that but it didn't seem to help. The indexing process stays on the status page
in futon for about 7 seconds after I trigger the view and then disappears again without successfully
completing, so I assumed changing that setting wasn't affecting the erlang view timeout (os_process_timeout
rather sounded like an external process kind of thing only).

> I'll try setting it even larger (I went for 50000) but maybe I just need to reduce the
size of my documents somewhat.

> Thanks.

and hopefully avoid some problems I was seeing with huge documents. However I'm running into
timeout problems.

>> In the log I get this shortly after trying to query the view:
>>
>> ** Reason for termination ==
>> ** {timeout,{gen_server,call,
>>                         [<0.1905.0>,
>>                          {prompt,[<<"map_doc">>,
>>
>> I get the impression from reading the source that erlang views might
>> have a default timeout of 5 seconds (presumably per document?). I'm
>> mostly guessing based on the line
>>
>> -record(evstate, {ddocs, funs=[], query_config=[], list_pid=nil, timeout=5000}).
>>
>> Near the top of couch_native_process.erl
>>
>> I couldn't see anything in the configuration which would obviously let me change
this. Does anyone have any ideas?