From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject GeoCouch performance: any suggestion to improve it ?
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:57:43 GMT
Folks,

I built a test rig to assess the performance, geo-spatial-wise, of PostgreSQL vs
CouchDB, and I have found out that -on average- CouchDB takes double the time of
PostgreSQL when completing a spatial query.

I have tried different ways of defining the view and converting the response into
GeoJSON; the best results happened when putting the geometry on the key and using
a list function to generate GeoJSON (which entails stringifying JSON in hte list
function).

Moreover, I had the impression that the transfer of data from views to list
functions takes quite a bit of time, since performance worsened when I tried to
put geometries in values as string in order to avoid stringifying them in the list
function; this, of course, caused doubling the amount of data in the view
(geometries were both in the key and -as strings- in the value).

Any suggestions to improve performance ?

Regards,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Tel. +61 03 903 58 380
Skype: lmorandini