From Michael Parker <michael.g.par...@gmail.com>
Subject Filtered replication for design documents
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:54:39 GMT
Hi all,

I have two servers A and B, where A is running continuous pull replication
against B, so any changes on B are propagated to A. Both have the same
design documents.

Say I push a new design document to A that modifies some views. After doing
this, what I'd like to do is begin replicating data from A to B, so that
any changes on A are propagated to B. I do not, however, want the updated
design document on A to propagate to B, because B is serving live traffic
and all requests will fail while it rebuilds its indices.

If I include in my updated design document on A the following filter:

function(doc, req) {
  return "_design/" !== doc._id.substr(0, 8);
}

and begin on server A continuous _push_ replication to B, will I ensure
that the updated design document is not propagated to B, because A is the
source and contains the filter? (Actually, if I were to begin on server B
continuous pull replication against A, then the design doc would also not
be propagated, because also in this case A is again the source and the
replication filter of the source is always used?)

Thanks,
Mike