From Keith Gable <zi...@ignition-project.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB not reachable (beginner's question)
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:07:25 GMT
Trick question: none of my servers allow root logins (PermitRootLogin No in
sshd.conf)

If CouchDB is wide open, the worst that can happen is your CouchDB data is
deleted. If root is available, the worst that can happen is a total
destruction of all data on the machine, potential compromise of other
servers (because the password or key is known), and a really bad day. If
you were using key-based authentication, it would be slightly better, but
why not log in as you@server and use sudo if needed? Certainly you don't
need root to do SSH tunneling.

---
Keith Gable
A+, Network+, and Storage+ Certified Professional
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer

<
> > rnewson@apache.org>

your machine?

<