From Chris Sphinx <chrissph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Serving Simple HTML page to Public IP from CouchDB
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:52:35 GMT
Okay, sorry about this I'm a programmer but I don't know anything about networking. I just
want to be sure there's no way to achieve the functionality I'm talking about without 1) getting
a domain name or 2) setting an entry in the /etc/hosts file on the computer I want to use
to access the page. Is that right?

On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:45 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> if you want a name maped to an ip address that works anywhere in the
> world, that's what DNS *is*. :)
>
> If you control all the clients, you can add local hosts files and/or
> point at your own dns server with your own custom zone.
>
> B.
>
> On 19 March 2013 22:40, Chris Sphinx <chrissphinx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I simply want to be able to access an html page from the public IP without breaking
the Couch. This is just for my personal convenience, this is not for a public site. But I
want to be able to access the webpage from anywhere (like a mobile device or public computer).

>> If I understand correctly, I could make this work if I had a registered domain name?
That's fine, but is there any way to accomplish this WITHOUT buying a domain name?

>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Virtual Hosting is predicated on host names. Vhosting the ip address
>>> is not recommended, for the reasons you've already encountered.
>>>
>>> What are you trying to achieve? It's very odd to direct people to your
>>> site via IP address. Are you trying to use the virtual host feature as
>>> a security mechanism?
>>>
>>> B.

else I assume) were to create an entry in THEIR /etc/hosts file:

IP to go directly to the index.html file no matter what computer is hitting it. The only way
I've found to get this to occur is to put in [vhosts]:

write nor can you retrieve any docs from the database. This makes sense to me because the
database isn't at the IP anymore, just the webpage.

but now it's beginning to seem as if I actually want a "reverse proxy" which is functionality
that is not provided by CouchDB? Or is serving a couch app to the public IP possible with
only Couch running on the RPi? Thank you for the help so far, it is really appreciated.

tutorials about "pretty urls", but no matter what I do I just cannot get this to work for
my public IP. All I want to do is be able to serve a boring webpage to anyone that hits

under vhosts in the local.ini file. Doing so breaks the database and I can't access it in
any way until I remove the line from the local.ini file and restart it. Trying to get at any
part of the database results in:

up to http://couch:5984 on the RPi. I can even load it from another machine, but I have to
set my /etc/hosts on whatever machine I want to use to include my.pub.lic.ip<tab>couch.
What if I want to allow anyone to access the page without having to hack their /etc/hosts
file? How am I supposed to set this up?

like ngix in front of the database with a reverse proxy, but I'm already killing an ant with
a sledgehammer and I feel that there is just something I am overlooking here. Can anybody
tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or walk me through how to get CouchDB to serve up a webpage
to a public IP?