From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: distributed database
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 19:04:20 GMT
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Tim Tisdall <tisdall@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running a CouchDB instance for quite a while now, but only on a
> single machine.  I'm looking at moving my hosting and settings things up in
> a distributed fashion.  I was hoping someone could point me in the right
> direction for what solutions are current and what solutions may actually
> make it into the core CouchDB code base (if any).
>
> I came across couchdb-lounge but as none of the code has been touched for 3
> years I'm guessing it's a nearly dead project.
>
> I looked at Bigcouch, but I'm a little unsure how you can modify an
> existing system (existing Bigcouch DB) to add or remove nodes.  Also, is
> there any automated way of making a single CouchDB database into a Bigcouch
> instance?
>
> -Tim

Changing the cluster size is still a bit of an ops heavy situation.
Generally speaking the easiest method when expanding is to just create
a new database once all nodes are up and then replicate the data over.
Contracting a cluster would be similar but requires some fiddling with
zones and placements when creating the target data for replication.